8.05.2009

A New Path!



I wasn't expecting to begin writing again in the midst of my walk with cancer. But, I don't think we can ever truly know when God will see fit to inspire us to weave together our words. Apparently, this is my time to begin to do that...

I took a break from this blog because, as many of you know, on May 15th I was diagnosed with stage III breast cancer. My dear friend Shelly left a post below that gives a link to the caring bridge page that my husband is maintaining. I know that will continue to be the avenue through which people can stay up-to-date on my physical journey.

My hope is that this may be a place for people to stay up-to-date on my spiritual journey. This process may be more for me than anyone else, but I have always believed that when I feel inspired to write...it is... in many ways, God's way of teaching me something...and...when we hold inspiration, it should always be shared.

I know that this journey I am on is frightening, frustrating and unsettling. So, it might seem funny to say I feel abundantly blessed. But, I do! We have been surrounded by a kindness that transcends any previous understanding of the word.

I think in our "ordinary" days, we see glimpses of the sacred gifts in our lives.

But, we have truly been enveloped in sacred gifts from the moment we heard. I have been "held" in so many ways by sacred words and gestures. At times I truly feel carried along by the stream of prayers and support that seem to extend me beyond this moment in time. I've had my moments, not so much of anger (I'm not so prone to that emotion), but rather to worry and tears (I've mastered these!).

As I began chemotherapy, I knew that the two concerns would be the side effects of the drugs (the possibility of dehydration and fever.) I've had them both, and as I have sat in desert moments physically and emotionally these past few weeks, I still have felt the grace of God. But, the only reason I have felt that is because of the presence of people around me, and their willingness to walk with me in this time.

I think this is the greatest lesson of all experiences: When we open ourselves up to those around us and share our stories, the sacred flourishes!

The community that I live in is amazing. But, I believe that every community has the possibility of being as amazing as mine. The key is sharing in the journeys of those around you. When we sit idle, we run the risk of stalling the sacred.

Of course when someone has a serious illness there is a natural impulse to want to do something. But, in every experience of our lives, we can be called to do something, to share something, to want to be a "part of something", rather than separate from it. What is it in your life that is calling you to be a part of it?

Sometimes we think it has to be a grand gesture, but it doesn't...the simplest action can often breed the most profound emotions.

Be a part of your day today!

Until next time, we take a sacred pause...